Featuring Streaming Music, Faster Dual-Core Processor and watchOS 4
The freedom to go with just your watch.
Cupertino, California — Apple today introduced Apple Watch Series 3, adding built-in cellular to the world’s number one watch. Whether users are out for a run, at the pool or just trying to be more active throughout their day, Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular allows them to stay connected, make calls, receive texts and more, even without iPhone nearby. The third-generation Apple Watch is an amazing health and fitness companion with intelligent coaching features, water resistance 50 meters and a new barometric altimeter that measures relative elevation. Apple Watch Series 3 comes in two models, one with GPS and cellular, and one with GPS, both featuring a 70 percent faster dual-core processor and new wireless chip.
Apple Watch Series 3 features a faster dual-core processor and wireless chip.
“We believe the addition of cellular will transform the way people use Apple Watch, providing a new sense of freedom since they can stay connected with or without their iPhone,” said Jeff Williams, Apple’s chief operating officer. “Apple Watch Series 3 combined with the power of watchOS 4 is the ultimate device for a healthy life.”
Stream 40 millions songs right from the wrist.
Industry-first antenna design that uses the display itself to transmit and receive.
Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) features a full LTE and UMTS cellular radio that switches seamlessly to cellular when it is away from iPhone. The watch shares the same number as iPhone so there’s no need to provide an additional number to family, friends or colleagues; and to help get customers started, participating carriers are also offering special introductory cellular plans at launch. Customers have the ability to make cellular calls directly with Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) and, when paired with AirPods, enjoy a seamless and fully wireless experience. Apple also pioneered an industry-first antenna design that uses the display itself as both a transmitting and receiving element for LTE and UMTS, while introducing a built-in eSIM that is over one-hundredth the size of a traditional SIM card, making over-the-air activation possible without compromising space.
watchOS 4 includes a new High Intensity Interval Training workout option.
The Heart Rate app offers more detailed heart rate measurements.
watchOS 4 features an updated Heart Rate app, giving even more insight to heart rate, including measurements during resting, workout, recovery, walking and Breathe sessions. Customers can also choose to receive a notification when their heart rate is elevated above a specific threshold while inactive. Other great watchOS 4 features include the proactive Siri watch face that displays the information users need most throughout the day, an enhanced Workout app with new interface, custom High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workout type and auto-sets for pool swims. With GymKit, users will soon enjoy the ability to connect to their favorite cardio equipment and experience two-way synchronization of data with just a tap, resulting in the most accurate information possible.
watchOS 4 introduces a redesigned Music app and new Radio app.
The Sport Loop effortlessly adjusts to fit the wrist.
Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) starts at $399 (US) and Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) starts at $329 (US), both featuring new upgrades like a faster dual-core processor and wireless chip, along with a barometric altimeter. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) also debuts a special red Digital Crown and exclusive “Explorer” watch face that shows cellular connectivity through a unique design. Series 1 will be available at a new starting price of $249 (US), making it more affordable than ever.
Pricing and Availability
- Apple Watch is available in two different case sizes, 38mm and 42mm. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) will be available in gold, silver or space gray aluminum, or silver or space black stainless steel paired with a variety of bands starting at $399(US). Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) will be available in gold, silver or space gray aluminum cases with a Sport Band starting at $329 (US). Apple Watch Series 1 is available in silver or space gray aluminum cases paired with a Sport Band starting at just $249 (US). Apple Watch Edition in gray or white ceramic will be available starting at $1,299 (US). All models will be available from apple.com and Apple Stores, as well as select Apple Authorized Resellers and carriers (prices may vary). For local availability, visit locate.apple.com. Apple Watch Nike+ starts at $329 (US) and Apple Watch Hermès starts at $1,149 (US) (prices may vary).
- Customers will be able to order Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) beginning Friday, September 15, with availability beginning Friday, September 22 in Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Puerto Rico, Switzerland, the UK and the US, with other countries following next year. For carrier availability, visit apple.com/watch/cellular.
- Customers will be able to order Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) beginning Friday, September 15, with availability beginning Friday, September 22 in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, the UK, the US and US Virgin Islands. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) will be available beginning Saturday, September 23 in UAE.
- Apple Watch Series 1 is available on apple.com and anywhere Apple Watch is sold.
- Apple Watch Nike+ will be available to order on apple.com beginning Friday, September 15, with limited availability on Thursday, October 5 in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guam, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Macau, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, UAE, the UK and the US. For more information, visit apple.com/apple-watch-nike or nike.com/applewatch.
- Apple Watch Hermès will be available to order on apple.com beginning Friday, September 15, with availability beginning Friday, September 22 in Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Switzerland, the UK and the US. For more information, visit apple.com/apple-watch-hermes or hermes.com/applewatchhermes.
- Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) will be available beginning Friday, September 29 in Croatia, Czech Republic, Greece, Guam, Hungary, Iceland, India, Jersey, Macau, Monaco, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Thailand and Turkey.
- Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) will be available beginning Saturday, September 30 in Kuwait, Qatar and Saudi Arabia.
- New Apple Watch bands are available today on apple.com and will be available soon at Apple Stores, as well as select Apple Authorized Resellers and carriers in the USand over 35 countries and regions, including Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE and the UK.
- Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) requires iPhone 6 or later running iOS 11 or later and Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) requires iPhone 5S or later running iOS 11 or later. watchOS 4 and iOS 11 will be available Tuesday, September 19. Some features are not available in all regions or all languages.
- Customers who buy Apple Watch from Apple will be offered free Personal Setup in-store or online4 to help set up and personalize their new Apple Watch with calendars, notifications, apps and more.
- Anyone who wants to start with the basics or go further with their new Apple Watch can sign up for free Today at Apple sessions at apple.com/today.
Images of Apple Watch Series 3
1 Apple Watch Series 3 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that it may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 3 should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth. Stainless steel and leather bands are not water resistant.
2 Apple Watch and iPhone service provider must be the same. Not available with all service providers. Roaming is not available outside your carrier network coverage area. Wireless service plan required for cellular service. Contact your service provider for more details. Check apple.com/watch/cellular for participating wireless carriers and eligibility.
3 Participating equipment manufacturers and gyms vary.
4 In most countries.