❤ iOS and iPadOS 13.6 Beta has a new toggle for Automatic Updates and Symptoms Section in the Health app
Apple is rolling out the second developer betas of iOS 13.6 and iPadOS 13.6 today. Included in the updates are additional controls to manage software updates going forward, including having updates automatically download and install.
The new Automatic Updates setting allows your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to automatically download software updates when you’re connected to Wi-Fi. “iPhone will automatically download updates over Wi-Fi,” is how Apple describes the new toggle.
iOS and iPadOS have long allowed you to automatically install software updates overnight, and today’s new toggle simply builds on that feature. There’s no need to manually download an update, but iOS will still send you a push notification before an update is installed overnight:
Automatically install software updates overnight after they have been downloaded. You will receive a notification before updates are installed. Your iPhone must be charging and connected to Wi-Fi to complete the update.
We’re still digging through iOS 13.6 beta 2 to see if there are any other notable changes.
Apple is also expected to introduce iOS 14 in less than two weeks at WWDC 2020. Whether or not iOS 13.6 is released to the public before iOS 14 beta testing begins remains to be seen.
Also new in iOS 13.6:
- Health app adds new “Symptoms” section for tracking symptoms of different illnesses
- New data types are available in HealthKit to track symptoms including headaches, chills, sore throat, and more
H/t: Jeremy Horwitz
- May 20: iOS 13.5 was released with the new Apple and Google Exposure Notification API
- June 1: iOS 13.5.1 released to everyone with a security patch for the unc0ver jailbreak vulnerability.
- June 1: iOS 13.5.5 beta 1 released to developers and public beta users with “bug fixes and improvements”
- June 9: iOS 13.5.5 renamed to iOS 13.6, beta 2 released to developers
Apple has today released iOS & iPadOS 13.6 Beta 2 to developers along with Xcode 11.6 beta (11N700h). The build number for this update is 17G5045c. There are two new interesting features added to this beta which are:
1. New Toggle for Automatic Updates: With this version of iOS & iPadOS, Apple has added a new toggle which will allow users to enable or disable the option to download updates automatically on your iPhone or iPad when they are connected to WiFi. The option is called “Download iOS updates” and under it, Apple mentions, “iPhone will automatically download updates over Wi-Fi”. To enable or disable this option, go to Settings>General>Software update>Customize Automatic Updates.
2. A new Symptoms Section in the Health App: Apple has added a new Symptoms Section to the the Browse Tab on the Health App. This section will enable users to add their symptoms like pain, coughing, headache, dizziness, etc. This will help users to be aware of their symptoms over time, and will help to discover illnesses developed by the users over time. Apple has described each symptom they have listed under teh new Symptoms category, and has options to add important details like Present/Not Present, Mild, Moderate and Severe.
These are the two interesting changes are present on iOS 13.6 Beta 2. This update is expected to be released after 2-3 betas.