❤ Apple Watch watchOS 8
New cycling and wellness features, fresh watch faces, more access with Wallet, and a redesigned Home app arrive for Apple Watch users
Fall Detection Update
Fall detection algorithms are updated and optimized for detecting falls during workouts in watchOS 8.
A New Approach to Mindfulness
The Mindfulness app in watchOS 8 features an enhanced Breathe experience; a new session type, Reflect; and guided Meditations for Fitness+ subscribers.
New guided Meditations will be uploaded each week in audio form in the new Mindfulness app on Apple Watch for Fitness+ subscribers.
Sleeping Respiratory Rate
watchOS 8 gives users even more insight into their overall wellness by tracking sleeping respiratory rate, which is the number of breaths per minute.
More Access with Wallet
Beginning with participating states in the US, Apple Watch wearers will be able to add their driver’s license or state ID to Wallet.
Apple Watch wearers can add keys for a hotel room to Wallet and tap their watch to unlock.
Redesigned Home App
The redesigned Home app in watchOS 8 offers more convenient access to accessories and scenes.
With watchOS 8, Apple Watch users with a HomeKit-enabled camera can view who is at the door directly on their wrist.
New Apple Watch Faces
The new Portraits watch face brings to life stunning portrait photos shot on iPhone.
The classic World Time face, based on heritage watches and ideal for travelers, tracks the time in 24 time zones around a double dial.
Apple Watch users can now combine the use of Scribble, dictation, and emoji all within the same message.
watchOS 8 supports Focus, a powerful set of tools available in iOS 15 to help users reduce distraction and be in the moment.
Additional watchOS 8 Features
- The redesigned Photos app offers new ways to view and navigate collections; Memories and Featured Photos now sync to Apple Watch; and photos can be shared through Messages and Mail.
- Multiple timers can be given a specific label using Siri (such as “Hey Siri, start a 10-minute pasta timer”).
- The Contacts app is now on Apple Watch, providing a simple way for users to browse, add, edit, and share contacts directly from the app.
- More Apple Watch apps support the Always-On display, including Maps, Mindfulness, Now Playing, Phone, Podcasts, Stopwatch, Timers, and Voice Memos.
- To support Apple Watch users with upper-body limb differences, AssistiveTouch enables one-arm usage of Apple Watch by sensing simple hand gestures to interact without touching the display. Using the built-in motion sensors, users can answer incoming calls, control an on-screen motion pointer, and surface an action menu that can access Notification Center, Control Center, and more.7
- A new Find Items app on Apple Watch helps users locate items with an attached AirTag and compatible third-party items using the Find My network, and a new Find Devices app helps users locate lost Apple devices that are signed in with the same Apple ID.
- The redesigned Music app enables users to share songs, albums, and playlists through Messages and Mail, and enjoy music and radio all in one place.
- The Weather app now supports Severe Weather notifications, displaying government alerts about certain severe weather events. The app also delivers Next Hour precipitation alerts and offers updated complications.
- Family Setup now includes the ability to add transit cards from Hong Kong, Japan, and select China mainland and US cities, and Calendar and Mail offer the option to add a Google account.
The Photos app is redesigned in watchOS 8, offering new ways to view and navigate collections.
Multiple timers come to Apple Watch in watchOS 8 and can be given a specific label using Siri.
watchOS 8 brings the Contacts app to Apple Watch, providing a simple way for users to browse, add, and edit contacts, and share contacts directly from the app.
To support Apple Watch users with upper-body limb differences, AssistiveTouch enables one-arm usage of Apple Watch by sensing simple hand gestures to interact without touching the display.
The redesigned Music app enables users to share songs, albums, and playlists through Messages and Mail in watchOS 8.
The redesigned Weather app supports Severe Weather notifications, delivers Next Hour precipitation alerts, and offers updated complications in watchOS 8.
- watchOS 8 is available as a free software update starting today for Apple Watch Series 3 models and later. For more information, visit apple.com/watchos/watchos-8.
- Apple Fitness+ updates will be available beginning Monday, September 27.
- Some features may not be available in all regions or all languages, or with all makes and models.